PROFESSIONAL BIOGRAPHY
SAMWEL JOHN MUSHI
J.M. Samwel | Tanzanian Optometrist
Professional Journey • 2017–2026
Born 15 April 1997 • Tanzania
“What started as an idea to serve communities gradually became a professional journey through private practice, community service, consultancy, public education and, ultimately, public service.”
My Professional Journey
My professional journey in Optometry began in 2017. Since then, it has developed through several important stages: professional training, private-sector experience, solo practice, community eye-health initiatives, consultancy, healthcare-worker training, media-based public education and, most recently, a transition into public-sector service.
Looking back, I see these years not simply as a list of jobs or workplaces, but as connected chapters. Each chapter taught me something different and prepared me for the next stage. At the center of the journey has been a continuing interest in eye health, community service and the belief that professional knowledge should be made accessible to the people who need it.
2017 | Where It All Began
In 2017, I graduated from the School of Optometry at Kilimanjaro Christian Medical Centre (KCMC), Moshi, after completing my field work at CCBRT (Comprehensive Community Based Rehabilitation in Tanzania) in Dar es Salaam. This marked the beginning of my professional life as an Optometrist.
The same year, an idea that would later become an important part of my professional identity was born: Optsam. The name came from “Opt” for Optometrist and “Sam” for Samwel. At that time, however, Optsam was not simply imagined as a commercial business. The idea was to create a platform through which eye-health outreach, awareness and other non-profit-oriented community initiatives could be supported.
I could not register or develop the idea immediately. I was still under provisional practice, financially unstable and did not have the diagnostic instruments and resources needed to run meaningful outreach programmes. I was also surrounded by friends and colleagues who were passionate about NGO and community initiatives. We had many ideas, but the time and resources were not yet supportive. Rather than abandoning the vision, we decided to keep the ideas alive until the opportunity and resources became available.
2017–2019 | Learning Before Building
The period from 2017 to 2019 became a foundation-building stage. I worked under provisional status and later became fully registered, gaining experience in private clinics, companies and other private-sector environments.
These experiences allowed me to understand Optometry from different professional perspectives. I learned through direct patient care, exposure to different clinical environments, interaction with other professionals and the practical realities of delivering eye-care services.
2018 | Expanding My Exposure
In 2018, I had the privilege of working with Diamond Optical Ltd., one of the private-sector environments where I explored Optometry and Ophthalmology extensively. The experience contributed significantly to my practical and professional development.
The same year, I also had the opportunity to participate in an ITV Media programme called “Meza Huru.” The approximately one-hour-and-thirty-minute session focused on educating the public about Glaucoma. This was an important moment because it demonstrated that my role as an Optometrist could extend beyond clinical practice into public education.
2019 | The Beginning of Solo Practice
By 2019, after gaining professional experience and gradually obtaining diagnostic instruments, I was able to take another important step toward independent practice. I established my consultancy/business identity as “Optsam Eye Care and Optical Workshop Store.”
This represented a significant transition. An idea that had started in 2017 was now becoming a practical professional platform through which I could provide Optometry services and work with different organizations and communities.
2019–2021 | From Solo Practice to Community Service
Between 2019 and 2021, my professional activities expanded beyond individual clinical practice. I worked with different organizations, schools, churches, community groups, NGOs and polyclinics.
Among the experiences were activities involving TAG Ukonga Church in 2020, the Group of Retired Prison Officers in Ukonga in 2020, Rotary International events in 2020, Tanzanites Lions Club in Dar es Salaam in 2021, Aga Khan Health Services in Tanzania through Aga Khan Polyclinic Tabata in 2021, and Sokeny Polyclinic Mabibo in 2021, among others.
These experiences brought me closer to the community-service spirit that had been part of the original Optsam idea. They also helped me appreciate that eye health can be promoted in many settings, not only inside a clinic.
2021 | Sharing Knowledge With Healthcare Workers
In 2021, I had another opportunity to contribute beyond direct patient care by facilitating training with Tindwa Medical and Health Services in Tanzania. The training involved healthcare workers, including Doctors and Nurses, and focused on the use of the Snellen Visual Acuity Chart.
This experience strengthened another aspect of my professional identity: sharing practical eye-health knowledge with other healthcare workers so that basic vision assessment can be better understood and applied.
2021–2024 | A Major Consultancy Chapter
From 2021 to 2024, I had the privilege of serving under a consultancy agreement with Aga Khan Health Services in Tanzania to provide outsourced Optometry services at Aga Khan Polyclinic, Tabata, Dar es Salaam.
This became an important and sustained chapter of my private-sector career. It provided an opportunity to work within an established healthcare environment while continuing to develop professionally through consultancy practice. It also represented a level of institutional trust and responsibility that I value as part of my career development.
2022 | World Sight Day and School Eye Health
In 2022, I used World Sight Day as another opportunity to contribute to community eye health. I served students at Migombani Secondary School, a government school in Dar es Salaam.
This experience reflected a continuing theme throughout my career: bringing eye-health awareness and services closer to communities, especially through settings such as schools where early awareness can make a meaningful difference.
2025–2026 | Eye Health Education Through Documentary Media
During 2025 and 2026, my involvement in public education continued through TBC Media in a programme called “Aridhio.” I had the privilege of participating in documentary sessions covering different topics related to health and society.
The documentary topics included the way mobile-phone use can affect social interaction and aspects of eye health, the importance of regular eye check-ups, and Glaucoma. These experiences strengthened my belief that professional knowledge should not remain inside the consulting room. People need understandable information about their health before they become patients.
Late 2025–2026 | A New Direction: Public Service
Toward the end of 2025, I began deliberately exploring another dimension of my profession: public-sector Optometry. I volunteered for a period at Kigamboni Health Center in Dar es Salaam, using the opportunity to gain an understanding of the public healthcare environment.
I later received an opportunity to serve at Mchemo District Hospital in Mtwara, marking a major transition in my professional journey. For me, this is not simply a change of workplace. It is an opportunity to explore Optometry from another perspective and to understand how my experience can contribute within the public health system.
2017–2026 | Looking Back With Purpose
When I look back at the period from 2017 to 2026, I do not see only different workplaces or professional titles. I see a gradual process of growth, experimentation, service and learning.
I began as a young Optometrist with an idea. I worked under provisional practice, learned from the private sector, explored Optometry and Ophthalmology, developed solo practice, worked with communities, provided consultancy services, trained healthcare workers, participated in television and documentary education, and eventually entered public-sector service.
The name Optsam, which began in 2017 as an idea to help communities, has remained connected to the deeper purpose of my professional journey. Even as my career environment has changed, the principle of using Optometry to contribute to eye health and public awareness has remained.
The Next Chapter
Today, I am proud of what I have accomplished since 2017. At the same time, I recognize that professional growth does not have a final destination.
“The private sector taught me independence.
Community work taught me service.
Consultancy taught me responsibility.
Media taught me the power of education.
And public service is now giving me a new perspective.”
My next chapter is therefore not about forgetting where I came from. It is about taking everything I have learned and asking how I can use my experience, knowledge and profession to create greater impact.
SAMWEL JOHN MUSHI (J.M. SAMWEL)
Tanzanian Optometrist
2017–2026 — A Journey of Practice, Service, Learning and Purpose.
Comments
Post a Comment